April 19, 2012

Trader's Joe Cioppino


I have been told Trader's Joe has a great Cioppino, so I had to try it. It has a nice mixture of mussels, clams, white fish, and shrimps. The tomato based sauce is rather blend and I added a little bit of freshly minced garlic and freshly mixed garden herbs to bring up the flavors. As the package said it has 340 calories, I thought that was pretty good. In order to make it a little healthier, I added some diced yellow bell pepper and diced carrots. Now I did not follow the packaging instructions. Why, because if you cook the fish, mussels, clams, and shrimps altogether, the last three ones will be way overcooked and end up like little pieces in the stew. So cook the sauce and the fish first. Add the vegetables and when almost cook through, add the mussels, clams, and shrimps. It turned out amazing and I will definitively purchase this again, as it is a good base to start with. I suggest you serve this with a green salad on the side and garlic toast. Bon appetit! Chef Marie

No comments: